Dining Tip: Flank Steak and Salsa Verde
An Argentine classic that’s completed with Malbec
• 1 small bunch parsley
• 2 shallots, peeled
• 1 large piece of garlic, grated
• 1 medium lemon, zest and juice
• 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (plus more for seasoning)
• 2 cups grapeseed oil (plus more for sautéing)
• 4 6-ounce flank steaks
1. To prepare the salsa verde: Combine the parsley, shallots, grated garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and 2 cups of grapeseed oil in a blender and blend until bright green and smooth. (The salsa verde will keep for 3 to 4 days stored in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.)
2. Season the steaks with kosher salt. Heat grapeseed oil in a sauté pan. When pan is very hot, sear the steaks approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove from pan and allow to rest for 1 minute.
3. Slice each steak and arrange on the plate. Spoon a generous amount of the sauce on top and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Malbec Mendoza Pairing Suggestion : Bodega Calle Alberti 154 Malbec 2010